ANIMAL FACTS Amaze your friends with our fantastic animal facts!
- Dogs have better eyesight than humans
- There are about 700 pure breeds of dogs in the world
- It is much easier for dogs to learn spoken commands if they are given with hand signals
- Apple and pear seeds contain arsenic, which may be deadly to dogs.
- Dogs and cats are just like humans, in that they are either right or left-handed….or pawed!
- Dogs don’t like rain, it hurts their ears
- Dogs with pointed faces normally live longer than those with flat faces
- The chow-chow dog has a blue tongue
- A cat uses it’s whiskers to judge if a space is too small to fit through
- When cats are happy they squeeze their eyes shut
- A female cat is called a queen
- Cats can jump up to 5 times their own height in one leap
- Cats can’t taste sweets
All other facts
- If you keep a goldfish in a dark room, it will begin to lose its colour!
- Cows can sleep standing up, but they can only dream lying down.
- Tigers have striped skin as well as striped fur.
- Rabbit’s teeth never stop growing
- Snakes never blink
- A chameleon’s tongue is twice as long as it’s body
- A goldfish can live for up to 40 years
- Fish sleep with their eyes open
- 1 human year is 25 years for a hamster
- Guinea pigs aren’t related to pigs, and they aren’t from Guinea!
- Snake scales are made of the same substance that our nails are made of
- Snakes smell with their tongue
- Snakes can have over 300 pairs of ribs
- There are some turtles that could out-run a human
- Tortoises can have a favourite colour
- Rabbits can sleep with their eyes open
- Salamanders breathe through their skin
- Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards