How to treat paw injuries correctly
Both small and large wounds on the paws of cats or dogs should be attended to swiftly – that’s what the vets from Maxi Zoo recommend.
- Clean the wound with clear water. You can disinfect a smaller one with tincture of iodine and care for it using an ointment.
- Cover the injury up with a compress or other type of dressing.
- Using surgical cotton, form a pad around the wound, also between the toes and balls and around the back claw.
- Then cover this with self-adhesive, elastic bandaging. This mustn’t be too tight!
- Take your pet to the vet and show him/her the injury. Above all with deep wounds, torn claws or unstemmed bleeding you should find a vet as quickly as possible.
- Also, bite and cut injuries must always be attended to by a vet as such wounds are almost always infected.
Call into your local store today to discuss your dog’s personal needs with our Maxi Zoo Pet Experts.