Stay Dog Safe – The Golden Rules
We all love dogs and know them to be great pets but it’s important to keep some ground rules in mind:
- Never approach, touch, or rub a strange dog, even if it looks friendly
- Never approach a dog that is not on a lead or with its owner
- Always ask the dog’s owner if you can pet their dog!
What to do If a loose dog is coming toward you:
- If you have something in your hands, drop it.
- Stand still like a tree! Standing straight with feet together, fists under the neck and elbows into the chest.
- Do not look at the dog – pretend he is not there
- Be as quite as a mouse and don’t say a word.
- If the dog knocks you to the ground, act like a log! If knocked down: face down, legs together, curled into a ball with fists covering the back of the neck and forearms over the ears, don’t move till the dog has walked away
Other Important things to remember:
- If you make sure to do the above, the dog will get bored and walk away
- Dogs like to chase! If you run away from a dog that is running after you, he will chase you.
So be safe and enjoy your time with dogs even more.